Adenovirus vaccine, live (By mouth)
Adenovirus Vaccine Type 4, Live (AD-e-noe-vye-rus VAX-een type 4, lyve), Adenovirus Vaccine Type 7, Live (AD-e-noe-vye-rus VAX-een type 7, lyve)
Prevents febrile (with fever) acute respiratory disease (ARD) caused by adenovirus type 4 and type 7. Given to military personnel who are 17 to 50 years of age.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this vaccine. It is given by mouth. The usual dose is 2 tablets taken as a single dose.
- Swallow each tablet whole. Do not break, crush, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are receiving medicines that may weaken your immune system. This includes cancer medicines, radiation treatment, or steroid medicines (such as dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone, or Medrol®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not become pregnant for 6 weeks after receiving this vaccine without first checking with your doctor. There is a chance that this vaccine may cause problems during pregnancy. If you think you have become pregnant, tell your doctor right away. Your doctor may want you to join a pregnancy registry for patients receiving this vaccine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, if you have diarrhea, vomiting, a weak immune system caused by a disease (such as HIV or AIDS), or any type of cancer.
- This vaccine contains live viruses that are shed in the stool for up to 28 days after receiving the vaccine and can cause disease to other people if transmitted. Your doctor may recommend ways (such as proper and frequent hand washing, especially right after bowel movements) to help prevent the spread of virus to other people.
- You should avoid close contact with people at high risk for catching the adenovirus for 28 days after receiving this vaccine. People who are at risk for catching the virus are pregnant women, children younger than 7 years of age, and anyone who has a weak immune system that keeps them from fighting infections.
- This vaccine contains albumin, which comes from human blood. Some human blood products have transmitted certain viruses to people who have received them. The risk of getting a virus from medicines made of human blood has been greatly reduced in recent years. This is the result of required testing of human donors for certain viruses, and testing during the manufacture of these medicines. Although the risk is low, talk with your child's doctor if you have concerns.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chills, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, and body aches.
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.5 degrees F.
- Trouble with breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Arm or leg pain.
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or upper stomach pain.
- Joint or muscle pain.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.