Helps certain parts of the eye become more visible during tests.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle or catheter (flexible tube) into your vein.
- You may notice a strong taste in your mouth after fluorescein is injected. Your skin may have a yellowish discoloration for about 6 to 12 hours after your test. Your urine may appear bright yellow for up to 36 hours after your test.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of asthma or allergies. Make sure your doctor knows if you have had an allergic reaction to any medicine or dye.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or seizures (convulsions).
- Pain, redness, swelling, or peeling skin at the injection site, or pain or loss of feeling in the arm that the fluorescein was injected into.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, abdominal (belly) pain.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.