Fluticasone (Into the nose)
Treats allergy symptoms, such as runny or stuffy nose. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Prime the spray: Release 6 test sprays into the air away from the face, or pump the bottle until some of the medicine sprays out. Now it is ready to use. Prime the spray if it has not been used for more than 7 days (or 30 days for Veramyst®) or if the cap has been left off the bottle for 5 days or longer.
- Shake the medicine well just before each use.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- After using the nasal spray, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue and put the cap back on.
- You may need to use this medicine for a few days before you start to feel better.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Keep the bottle tightly closed when not using it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze or refrigerate. Throw this medicine away after you use 120 sprays.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with ritonavir.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how fluticasone works. Tell your doctor if you are using ketoconazole.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, asthma, an infection, or a history of cataracts or glaucoma. Make sure your doctor knows if you have had nose surgery, a nose injury, or a recent infection in your nose.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Holes or ulcers inside the nose
- Slow wound healing
- Cataracts or glaucoma
- Problems with the adrenal glands
- Slow growth in children
- Avoid people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor right away if you think you have been exposed to measles or chickenpox.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, redness, swelling, or irritation around or inside your nose
- Eye pain or vision changes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Heavy nosebleeds
- Sores or white patches inside the nose or mouth
- Tiredness, weakness, dizziness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.