Trospium (By mouth)
Treats symptoms of an overactive bladder.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Capsule, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine with water on an empty stomach, or at least 1 hour before a meal.
- Swallow the extended-release capsule whole with water. Do not open, crush, or chew it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using any other medicines to treat incontinence, or other medicines that can cause dry mouth or constipation (such as atropine, dicyclomine, glycopyrrolate, scopolamine, Bentyl®, Robinul®, Transderm Scop®). Tell your doctor if you are also using metformin (Glucophage®), morphine, pancuronium (Pavulon®), procainamide (Procan®, Procanbid®, Pronestyl®), tenofovir (Viread®), or vancomycin (Vancocin®, Vancoled®).
- Do not drink alcohol within 2 hours of taking this medicine. You may feel very drowsy if you drink alcohol while you use this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, bladder obstruction, myasthenia gravis (severe muscle weakness), narrow-angle glaucoma, ulcerative colitis, or stomach or bowel problems (such as chronic constipation).
- This medicine may make you sweat less, causing your body temperature to increase. Use extra care not to become overheated during exercise or hot weather, because overheating may result in heatstroke.
- This medicine may cause you to be dizzy, drowsy, confused, or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, painful or difficult urination, bloody or cloudy urine
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or dry eyes
- Constipation, stomach pain, upset stomach, gas, bloating
- Dizziness, confusion, unusual drowsiness, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Dry mouth
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.