Antihistamine/decongestant (By mouth)
Treats stuffy nose, sneezing, runny nose, and sinus congestion caused by hay fever, colds, or flu.
Acta-Tabs PE, Acticon, Actifed Cold & Allergy, Ala-Hist PE, Aldex-CT, All Day Allergy-D, Allegra-D, Allegra-D 12 Hour, Allegra-D 12 Hour Allergy & Congestion, Allegra-D 24 Hour Allergy & Congestion, Allegra-D 24Hour, Allerest Maximum Strength, Allergy & Congestion Relief, Allergy Plus Sinus, Allergy Relief-D
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Thin Sheet, Capsule, Long Acting Capsule, Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Chewable Tablet, 24 Hour Tablet, Dissolving Tablet, Liquid, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Completely chew the chewable tablet before swallowing it. Swallow the regular tablet, regular capsule, extended-release tablet, or extended-release capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- If you use a powder, stir the medicine into water and drink it right away. Do not keep any unused mixture to take later.
- If you are using the Softchew®, you may let it melt in your mouth, or you may chew it. If you are using the dissolving tablet, let the tablet melt in your mouth.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, medicine cup, oral syringe, or medicine dropper.
- You might need to shake the oral liquid well just before you use it. Follow the directions on the label or ask your pharmacist.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using any other medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, other cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, liver disease, glaucoma, asthma, emphysema, seizure disorder, a disorder of the urinary tract, or an overactive thyroid.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they get worse, call your doctor. If you have a severe sore throat, fever, or thick yellow or green mucus, call your doctor.
- Some brands of this medicine may contain phenylalanine (aspartame). If you have a health problem called phenylketonuria, ask your doctor before using this medicine.
- This medicine can make you drowsy or restless. Avoid taking at bedtime if it makes you restless. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Some brands of this medicine may contain alcohol. Read the label carefully or ask your pharmacist so you know what is in your product.
- Children may be more sensitive to this medicine than adults, especially if they take too much. Always read the medicine label closely so you give your child the right amount. Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you are not sure how much medicine to give your child.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Severe headache
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat
- Trouble urinating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.