Perampanel (By mouth)
Treats seizures caused by epilepsy.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you. This medicine should be taken at bedtime.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose of this medicine, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. Call your doctor if you miss more than one dose of this medicine.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use birth control pills that contain levonorgestrel (Alesse®, Mirena®, Seasonale®), rifampin (Rifadin®, Rimactane®), St John's wort, or other medicines to control seizures (such as carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, Dilantin®, Tegretol®).
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, problems with walking, balance, or coordination, vertigo, or a history of depression or mood changes.
- This medicine can cause changes in your mood or behavior, such as feeling depressed or getting upset easily. You could feel nervous or angry. Some people become aggressive and may want to hurt themselves or others. You might have too much energy or feel confused. Call your doctor right away if you have any unusual feelings, thoughts, or behaviors.
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, unsteady, or less alert. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Birth control pills that contain levonorgestrel may not work as well while you use this medicine. Use another form of birth control together with your pills to avoid getting pregnant. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Feeling aggressive, angry, hostile, irritable
- Depression, nervousness, or restlessness, trouble sleeping
- Trouble walking, speaking, or controlling body movements
- Unusual mood or behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- Headache or dizziness
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.